The making of a man who struggles with God

September 21

Today was the third Sunday of the month, so I got to attend the monthly worship service at my church. I've been really discouraged recently in my "worship life" (if there is such a thing). I've been having trouble focusing on the songs, and I really wonder how much true worship I'm doing, and what is true worship? A friend once said that sometimes he thinks God's ok with us feeling all emotional about the songs, after all, he created our emotions, and maybe we shouldn't be so cynical about having a Pentecostal-style worship experience. I think he may be right, but at any rate, I'm definitely feeling neither emotional nor honest about my worship right now. A couple weeks ago I prayed not that God would give me a worship buzz, but that he would be honored by my worship. I don't know how well that "worked", but at any rate, I don't feel any more worshipful now. Of course, it's a mistake to think worship = singing. Really, singing is such a small part of how we worship God, and I think we may be mistaken to put so much emphasis on it. I don't know. I don't really care about how I worship or how I feel, I just want to be a sweet, sweet sound in God's ear. And I'm not sure if that's true of me now or not.

It was pointed out to me at a later date that what I called "Pentecostal" (as in "Pentecostal-style worship experience") I ought to call "Charismatic" (Pentecostals being a specific branch of Charismatic Christians). Obviously I didn't know what I was talking about.


- Jacob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home












Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com